Tumbarumba trainer Mont Waters has entered two runners for Wagga on Saturday with Bay Lane and Namarari set to race.
Bay Lane has been nominated along with 34 other gallopers for the 1200m Benchmark 58 Handicap.
The Zariz gelding was meant to race at Tumut on Saturday, but the meeting was postponed.
The eight-year-old has won at Wagga before, and his last start fourth placing at Tumut when under the guidance of Teighan Worsnop suggests he is going well enough to feature in a race like this if he gains a start and draws reasonably well.
Namarari looks an interesting commodity in the 1600m Benchmark 58 Handicap.
The five-year-old hadn’t shown a whole lot for his new trainer, finishing down the track for Waters in three starts following a move from the Andrew Dale stable.
The Wandjina gelding was then put over more ground last start and found the front in the 1460m Benchmark 50 Handicap at Queanbeyan for apprentice Jess Del Frari before he was beaten 0.21 of a length by the Blake Fitzpatrick-trained Marcada (Richard Bensley).
The 1600m won’t be an issue, with Namarari having won between 1590-1600 three times before.
George Dimitropoulos also has a runner in the 1600m Benchmark 58 Handicap with Blazing Zone set to go around.
The five-year-old was in good form prior to his last start last placing in the 1800m Benchmark 58 Handicap at Wagga on Monday.
The Eurozone gelding won at Leeton three starts back before solid second and third placings at Albury, both in 1600m Benchmark 58 Handicaps.
It will be a short turnaround for Blazing Zone if he does run again on Saturday.
Tumut Turf Club loses back-to-back meetings
One must genuinely feel for the Tumut Turf Club after their five-race non-TAB meeting scheduled for Saturday was washed out following consistent rain on Friday and Saturday.
This was the second time the club had lost a meeting in 13 days, with their November 7 meeting suffering the same fate.
Tumut Turf Club President David Rosetta could only laugh about the situation, explaining it was out of the club’s hands, with Racing NSW stewards forced to make the tough decision on both occasions.
“What are you going to do? When it rains, it pours,” Rosetta quipped.
“Before yesterday, we have had over 120ml of rain this month. It’s unusual but there isn’t anything we can do.”
Rosetta backed Racing NSW steward’s decisions not to race on either day, although he said Tumut were open to hosting more meetings once the track dried out.
“I think it was a was a good decision to abandon Saturday. The track was okay on Friday, but with the rain, we couldn’t have raced, and it would have been a miserable day,’ Rosetta said.
“It was the opposite with the Sunday meeting (November 7). The day before the track wasn’t good but the track dried out quickly and we could have probably raced, but the stewards needed to make a decision and we support that.
“We have spoken to the stewards and let them know we are happy to do a meeting and help out where we can.”